Gingerbread Palace (Delectable)

Gingerbread Palace (Delectable) - EM Lynley I love food centric books. It is just a 'thing' with me. I also love holiday stories and Gingerbread Palace was a success on both counts. Alex Bancroft is the owner of Bancroft's Buns. We enter the story in the midst of a fire at the bakery with Alex and his staff being taken out of the bakery when Alex realizes a dog he is watching is still in the building. Instead of listening to hunky firefighter, Kevin Flints warning to not enter the building, Alex runs in anyway, both endangering himself and Kevin. This makes for a poor first impression of Alex on Kevin and it does nothing for Alex that Kevin calls him an idiot. Yet, we still see an attraction there, one Kevin is harshly trying to avoid and one that brings back some painful memories for Alex.

The author gives us details as we progress through the book about both men and their backgrounds and what drives them to behave the way they do. I have to admit I thought Kevin was a real jerk for most of the book but I realized why as we went along. I enjoyed watching this relationship develop and it was fun having so much of the story center around a gingerbread project that is being donated to a charity to help foster children.

This is a great addition to my holiday line up.

As a bonus - the author gets accolades for adding recipes that relate to the story at the end of the book. I enjoyed the story regardless of the recipes but it was a very sweet treat. (yes, groan at the pun if you have too)

I look forward to exploring more of this authors work.